Children May be More Susceptible to Mold

Children May be More Susceptible to Mold

It has been proven time and time again that the effects of mold exposure may have serious, sometimes fatal consequences for young infants in the early years of their life. It can be alarming that a home could be the source of such debilitating health issues, which is why this is such an important topic. Many would never suspect that their house could be the source of their or their child’s symptoms, but it is all too common to ignore the possibility that mold could be a contributing factor to your child’s overall health and well-being. Mycotoxins – produced from toxic black mold – are particularly harmful to children, causing some of the following health complications:

Symptoms of Mold Exposure in Children

  • Respiratory problems. Several studies from around the world have found a close relationship between mold exposure and respiratory problems in children, such as shortness of breath. If a child already has asthma, inhaling mold spores may exacerbate it and trigger more frequent attacks.  Mycotoxins can also cause a burning sensation in the nasal cavity, mouth and throat, causing potentially dangerous complications if they get lodged in the form of breathing problems or even bleeding in the lungs – an infection known as aspergillus. Thus, if a child has asthma or other respiratory problems, they are possibly at an increased risk of complications if there is mold in their environment or if they come in contact with unhealthy amounts of toxic mold.
  • Neurological symptoms. A child’s brain is developing most rapidly from birth until the age of five. Any disruptions during that development period can cause major issues for the child. Mycotoxins can kill neurons in the brain and impair its functions, causing nervous disorders, mood swings, irritability, disorientation, shortened attention span, slowed reflexes, dizziness, headaches, memory loss, tremors, anxiety and depression. Studies have found that those children living in mold-contaminated environments for long periods of time may have 10 fewer IQ points than those who don’t.
  • Skin irritation. Youngsters are more likely to suffer from mold-related rashes due to the delicate nature of their skin. If your child is experiencing any new skin rashes or issues you may want to investigate if mold is the culprit. If the reaction is from mold, often symptoms get better when removed from the moldy environment. This is called toxic building syndrome.
  •  Sore eyes. Inflammation-related issues, such as red, itchy and watery eyes, as well as vision problems, can all be caused by mycotoxins. This can result from a histamine response in which the body’s immune system causes a defensive allergic reaction. This can range from mild to severe and needs medical attention.
  • Internal organs can be affected, resulting in a number of circulatory and vascular issues such as heart damage and blood clotting problems. Mold can cause damage throughout the body, so it can be hard to pinpoint – and why it is so important to check your home regularly for mold and water damage.

Children May be More Susceptible to Mold and If your child is experiencing any of these symptoms, please check with a doctor and ask about the possibility of mold contributing to their condition. If you think your child may be experiencing symptoms of toxic mold exposure, be sure to get the medical care they need and also have your house examined and remediated for mold.  To learn more or begin a conversation, please contact us here and feel free to connect socially with us on Facebook and Instagram.

Verified by MonsterInsights